A thorough antenatal course to prepare you well for your birth and for your new baby.
Based on first-hand experience, up-to-date information & research and proven practical skills, this course has been designed to prepare you for the reality of labour and birth and to empower so you are at the centre of your care.
This course is ideal if you are expecting your first baby and it also works well as a refresher if you are getting ready to birth again.
In five sessions you will gain knowledge about…
- EARLY LABOUR – because knowing what to expect in the early stages of labour is important
- ESTABLISHED LABOUR & GIVING BIRTH – what to expect, managing your contractions, managing your energy, pain relief, knowing your options
- WHAT CAN HELP & WHAT CAN HINDER – the small things can make a big difference
- GOOD BIRTH SUPPORT – so birth partners know how to help
- EFFECTIVE POSITIONS FOR LABOUR & BIRTH – to move, to rest, to use positions and gravity to help your contractions and to be more comfortable
- USING YOUR BREATHING – to stay calm and to encourage effective and manageable contractions
- INDUCTION, EPIDURAL & CAESAREANS – these can all be a necessary part of labour and birth so it helps to be better prepared, to know what to expect and to know what your options are
- USING PAIN RELIEF EFFECTIVELY – so you know what your options are and how to use them well
- PANIC POINTS – and how to manage them
- EARLY DAYS WITH YOUR BABY – what to expect and how soothe and settle your baby in those first few days and weeks and how to look after you as new parents
These sessions are accompanied by a toolkit of resources to use and read at home during and after the course
I teach small groups of parents – courses run with 2-4 couples so the sessions are informal, so you can focus on the information, so you can chat and ask questions while feeling comfortable and relaxed. This way, you will receive more personalised birth preparation to focus on your needs so you can think about your options and what might be helpful for you.
These antenatal classes are attended by expectant parents from across Tyneside, Newcastle & Northumberland
5 sessions | Monday or Wednesday sessions | 7-9pm | £140 | North Shields
You can pay here or you can message me for online banking details.
5 sessions to get you better prepared for labour & birth
All I need you to do is let me know which course you would like to attend..
WEDNESDAY: April 17, 24, May 1, 8 & 15
MONDAY: June 3, 10, 17, 24 (plus Saturday June 22 from 10am-12)
MONDAY: July 15, 22, August 5 & 12 (plus Saturday August 10th from 10am-12)
MONDAY: September 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30
WEDNESDAY: September 18, 25, October 2, 9 & 16
MONDAY: October 7, 14, 21, November 4 & 11
WEDNESDAY: November 6, 13, 20, 27 & December 4
MONDAY: November 18, 25, December 2, 9 & 16
With Janine Smith
A specialist in pregnancy & birth, early parenting and parent wellbeing
I have worked with parents since 2002 and, as a practitioner with professional training and experience, I am trusted to provide a balance of reliable knowledge, non-judgemental support and much needed reassurance.
My job is not to tell you what to do – it is to listen, to provide you with the opportunity to ask questions, it is about providing ideas and information, helping you to formulate plans and to find what works for you and for your family.
The focus is on your wellbeing in pregnancy, for birth, as a parent and as you, the person behind the parent and I have created informal but effective small group and 1:1 sessions to benefit you.
If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to send me a message.