With small groups this is an effective way to gain professional birth preparation and to access ongoing support.
This course is aimed at all expectant parents – it provides practical knowledge, discussion and preparation so it is ideal for first-time parents and it works well as a refresher for experienced parents.
My antenatal course is not only about knowledge and skills – it is also about assertiveness, confidence, having realistic expectations and feeling equipped to cope with the challenges. I aim to better prepare you with your options for straight-forward birth as well as the questions to ask so you know more about your options if you need additional monitoring, an induction or a caesarean when your options could be different.
Sessions are based on first-hand experience and up-to-date research and this course has been designed to prepare you well for the reality of labour, birth and the early weeks with your new baby.
In five sessions you will gain knowledge about…
- EARLY LABOUR – because knowing what to expect in the early stages of labour is important
- ESTABLISHED LABOUR & GIVING BIRTH – what to expect, managing your contractions, managing your energy, pain relief, knowing your options
- WHAT CAN HELP & WHAT CAN HINDER – the small things can make a big difference
- GOOD BIRTH SUPPORT – so birth partners know how to help
- EFFECTIVE POSITIONS FOR LABOUR & BIRTH – to move, to rest, to use positions and gravity to help your contractions and to be more comfortable
- USING YOUR BREATHING – to stay calm and to encourage effective and manageable contractions
- INDUCTION, EPIDURAL & CAESAREANS – these can all be a necessary part of labour and birth so it helps to be better prepared, to know what to expect and to know what your options are
- USING PAIN RELIEF EFFECTIVELY – so you know what your options are and how to use them well
- PANIC POINTS – and how to manage them
- EARLY DAYS WITH YOUR BABY – what to expect and how soothe and settle your baby in those first few days and weeks and how to look after you as new parents
These sessions are accompanied by a toolkit of resources to use and read at home during and after the course.
These antenatal classes are attended by expectant parents from across Tyneside & Newcastle
5 sessions | Monday or Wednesday sessions | 7-9pm | £140 | North Shields
You can pay here or you can message me for online banking details.
5 sessions to get you better prepared for labour & birth
All I need you to do is let me know which course you would like to attend..
MONDAY: March 18, 25, April 1, 8 & 15
WEDNESDAY: April 17, 24, May 1, 8 & 15
MONDAY: June 3, 10, 17, 22, 24
WEDNESDAY: June 12, 19, July 3, 17 & 24
MONDAY: September 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30
WEDNESDAY: September 25, October 2, 9, 16 & 23
MONDAY: October 7, 14, 21, November 4 & 11
WEDNESDAY: November 13, 20, 27, December 4 & 11
MONDAY: November 18, 25, December 2, 9 & 16
With Janine Smith
I am a specialist in pregnancy, birth and early parenting – I have worked with expectant parents since 2002 and I have taught antenatal classes almost weekly since 2005. Due to being NCT-trained and my knowledge and experience, I am able to provide a balance of information, skills, support and reassurance for all expectant parents. My sessions are friendly and informal – not like a classroom – with small groups and 1:1 sessions so you can ask questions and gather all the information you need.
In addition to general birth preparation, I specialise in being parent-focused so I can provide support for specific issues such as birth anxiety, giving birth again, being induced, planned caesareans and homebirths. I am a mum of three and I have also worked as a birth doula, so I have attended a number of births.
It is important to me to be able to support parents in the best way possible so I don’t teach large groups of people – my sessions run with up to 4 couples so they are informal, so you can focus on the information and the skills, so you chat and ask questions while feeling comfortable and relaxed.
My sessions are about providing good information, practical skills and discussion so you can be better prepared for the birth of your baby and so you can think about your options and what might be helpful for you.
If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to send me a message.