This is a thorough antenatal course to prepare you well for your birth and for your new baby…
Based on first-hand experience, up-to-date information & research and proven practical skills, this course has been designed to better prepare you for the reality of labour and birth and to encourage you to be at the centre of your care.
This course is ideal if you are expecting your first baby and it also works well as a refresher if you are getting ready to birth again.
In five sessions you will gain knowledge about…
- EARLY LABOUR – what to expect, knowing your options, managing your contractions and managing your energy when you are at home
- ESTABLISHED LABOUR & GIVING BIRTH – what to expect, managing your contractions, managing your energy, pain relief, knowing your options
- WHAT CAN HELP & WHAT CAN HINDER – the essentials that can make a big difference in labour, for birth, with epidurals and with inductions
- GOOD BIRTH SUPPORT – so birth partners know how to help and how to be an advocate
- EFFECTIVE POSITIONS FOR LABOUR & BIRTH – to move, to rest, to use gravity to help your contractions, to use with epidurals, to use with induction and to be more comfortable
- USING YOUR BREATHING – to stay calm, to work with contractions, to use with all births and to head off any panic
- INDUCTION, EPIDURAL & CAESAREANS – these can all be a necessary part of labour and birth so it helps to be better prepared, to know what to expect and to know more about your options
- USING PAIN RELIEF EFFECTIVELY – knowing more about your options and how to use the different pain relief methods well
- PANIC POINTS – where these are more likely to happen and how to manage them
- MEETING YOUR BABY & YOUR RECOVERY – so you know more about your options and what to expect
- EARLY DAYS & WEEKS WITH YOUR BABY – preparing your home for your new baby; what to expect with a newborn; feeding; sleep; how to soothe and settle your baby; what your baby may need and what you may need so you can look after your baby and so you can look after yourselves as new parents
The aim of my antenatal course is to provide you with good knowledge, practical information & techniques, along with discussion and a chance to ask questions.
This is not about labour & birth being easy, it’s about being able to put yourself at the centre of your care and managing the different challenges of labour & birth.
Only 27% of labours are without any intervention, so it is important to know more about induction, caesareans, assisted delivery and epidurals – this gives you more knowledge about what to expect, what your options are and how to stay as calm as possible if your labour becomes more complicated.
These sessions are accompanied by a toolkit of resources to use and read at home during and after the course, along with access to ongoing support from me.
I provide a professional, welcoming and personalised course…
I teach small groups of parents – my courses run with between 2-4 couples so each session is informal, enabling you to focus on the information and providing you with the space to chat, ask questions and gather information while feeling comfortable and relaxed. This way, you can focus on your needs so you can think about your options and what might be helpful for you.
This antenatal course is attended by expectant parents from across Tyneside, Newcastle & Northumberland
5 sessions | Monday sessions | 7-9pm | £140 |
in North Shields
You can pay here or you can message me for online banking details.
5 sessions to get you better prepared for labour & birth
All I need you to do is let me know which course you would like to attend..
FOR PARENTS DUE IN DECEMBER/JANUARY
WEDNESDAYS: October 30, November 6, 13, 20 & 27
FOR PARENTS DUE IN JANUARY/FEBRUARY
MONDAYS: November 18, 25, December 2, 9 & 16
FOR PARENTS DUE IN FEBRUARY/MARCH
January 6, 13, 20, 27 & February 3 (7-9pm)
FOR PARENTS DUE IN APRIL/MAY
March 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 (7-9pm)
FOR PARENTS DUE IN JUNE/JULY
April 20, 27, May 11, 18 & 25 (7-9pm)
FOR PARENTS DUE IN JULY/AUGUST
June 1, 8, 15, 22 (7-9pm) plus Saturday June 20 (10am-12)
With Janine Smith
A specialist in pregnancy, birth & early parenting
I have worked with parents since 2002 and, as a practitioner with professional training and experience, I am trusted to provide a balance of reliable knowledge, non-judgemental support and much needed reassurance.
My approach is not about telling you what to do – it is to listen, to provide you with the opportunity to ask questions, it is about providing ideas and information, helping you to formulate plans and to find what works for you and for your family.
The focus is on your wellbeing in pregnancy, for birth, as a parent and as you, the person behind the parent and I have created informal but effective small group and 1:1 sessions to provide ongoing information, support and reassurance as you need it.
If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to send me a message.