Northumbria Birthing Centre
NSECH, Northumbria Way, Cramlington NE23 6NZ
Northumbria Birthing Centre has:
- 14 labour rooms
- Gas & air
- Diamorphine & Pethidine
- 2 birth pools
- Febromed birthing equipment
- Birth balls & birthing stools
- Staff: midwives, anaesthetists and obstetricians
- Private en-suite rooms and partners can stay – although partners may need to bring a blow-up bed/camping mattress & bedding rather than sleeping in a chair
- Special Care Baby Unit for babies who need some extra care
- Doctors and anaesthetists are available
- Visiting: partners can stay but other visitors can visit between 2.30-4pm & 6.30-7.30pm
- Parking: £6 for 24 hours
My thoughts about Northumbria Birthing Centre…
The feedback I receive from parents is overwhelmingly positive with comments about good care and experiences. The niggles and slightly negative comments I hear could be attached to any maternity unit – conflicting information, unhelpful comments from some staff members – so it pays to be as assertive as possible, to get the information and the support you need and find most helpful.
I like that there are pools, Febromed and other birthing equipment – it shows some thought into making labouring women comfortable and encouraging movement as well as different ways to manage and work with the contractions. And it makes a huge difference for dads to be able to spend the night.
One comment has always stayed with me and that is about the name of this maternity unit – I have met some mums postnatally who have been confused because they have expected a birthing centre – a unit which is often focused more on natural birth. While NSECH has pools and natural birth equipment, this unit is also a mainstream maternity unit with doctors, epidurals, inductions, caesareans and related policies/procedures. This is not a bad thing at all – in fact it is considered a positive thing by many expectant parents – but be aware of this to manage your expectations of what to the ward will be like.
Tips & comments from parents about Northumbria Birthing Centre…
- great experience during the birth.
- overnight support wasn’t as good as it could have been so if I had my time again I’d have pressed the button more often.
- midwives and student midwives were fab
- bring change for parking
- really positive birth with great communication and support
- take your own bottles and formula if you are not planning to breastfeed
- take plenty of snacks
- the care was good but be prepared for the midwives to be busy
- couldn’t fault them. I didn’t have a straight forward time of if at all but every member of staff I encountered couldn’t have done more for us
- the rooms were spacious, private and had a toilet and shower
- they did everything within their power to help me give birth as naturally as possible, even though my body didn’t want to do much and we were at it a long time.